11.26.2010

tasty taters

As I have mentioned before, I don't care for instant mashed potatoes.  Unless, they are used to coat chicken...delicious and so many varieties!  Anyways, I love 'real' mashed potatoes and just wanted to share with you the recipe my mom and I use (mine includes a little extra yumminess).

You will need:
peeled potatoes
salt and pepper
butter
whole milk (or half and half)
pot to boil potatoes in

Peel your potatoes, how many you need will depend on how many people you are planning to feed.  Cut up the potatoes into chunks and put in a pot to boil.  Fill the pot with water, enough to cover the potatoes.  Check potatoes with a fork to measure 'done-ness'.  If you can easily stick the potato with a fork, they are ready.  Drain all the water off.  Next, add in milk or half and half, my husband likes fat free milk and the potatoes NEVER taste as good as they do when made with whole milk.  I suggest always using whole milk, or half and half.  For 2-3 servings, I used 1/2 cup of half and half...start with this and gradually add more until you get the creaminess you crave.  Add in a spoonful of butter and some salt and pepper.  Beat with electric mixer (or by hand) until most all lumps are gone. 
Now, my mom will add some butter on top and serve these tasty spuds.  I, with my absolute obsession with bacon add an extra step.  I fry up a few pieces of bacon, cut them up and add them into my potatoes.  Oh, they are so delicious!  My husband and I usually add some shredded cheese on top and enjoy!
Get inspired, experiment with your taters...create something delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...