2.22.2011

dirty little secret

My husband and I are moving next weekend (one huge collective squeal, please)!  We are so so so so so very excited, we are currently in a one bedroom, one bath apartment and we're busting at the seams.  With all of my craft, sewing, decorating and other stuff and his love of 'things' we have outgrown this apartment.  We're moving to a  three bedroom, two bath apartment.  Why three bedrooms you ask?  So I can have a sewing/crafting room!
Any whoooo...our carpets in the current apartment have been through a lot.  We didn't own a vacuum for quite a while (I know, gross...we registered for one, just never got it)  About a month ago we finally bought our vacuum and it's like heaven...except for the realization of how gross our carpets are!  The area right by the front door was the WORST!  I was so embarrassed that I never really looked at it before and people came over and saw...ewwww!  Well, if we wanted our deposit back, we needed to clean up our act...well, our carpets.
I work at a church cleaning at nights, the same time the carpet cleaning man works.  He has a 'secret concoction' that he's used to clean floors in school buildings.  I figure if it works for hundred of kids, it can work for my little carpet.  The best part of this concoction is that it is made of simply household ingredients!



What you need:
Rubbing Alcohol
Dawn Liquid Dish Soap
Spray Bottle
Rag (s)

What to do:
Mix equal parts of rubbing alcohol and dish soap together in spray bottle
Spray a mist on your dirty carpet and let set for about 30 seconds or so
Rub the soiled area with the rag
If your carpet is heavily soiled, like mine was, you may need to spray again and rub.  I did this about four or five times!  If your rag gets super filthy, get a new one...trying to clean with a dirty rag is not effective!
The cleaner dries pretty quickly, but will leave a light smell of alcohol.  I vacuumed the carpet after cleaning and it took a lot of the smell away.

Sorry for the less than great pictures, the lighting in our apartment is horrible and so funky (in a bad way).
Here is what my carpet looked like before...please don't judge....yuck


Here is what my carpet looked like after the first spray and rub


Here is a few spray and rubs into the job


Here is my carpets all nice and clean and vacuumed!


Now, for the side-by-side before and after....ahhhh...much better!

Now, I would recommend testing this product out on a small portion of your carpet.  I mean, with such basic ingredients, it shouldn't harm your carpets in any way but...rather be safe than sorry!

I mixed up 1/3 cup of each ingredient and still had some left over...so I'm saving it until after all the furniture is out and 'the truth is revealed!'

I'm liking up to:
Somewhat Simple
Night Owl Crafting
Someday Crafts 
SAS Interiors

9 comments:

  1. I canNOT believe the difference!!!! JP even said "I feel like that's fake..." VERY VERY impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha!! Looking at the pics on my computer as I was uploading them, I thought the same thing. Then, I looked and saw the clean carpet, and knew it was for real!! Also, I used the left over mix on another carpet, for marinara sauce (thanks Matt) and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have the exact same colored carpet. (And by that I mean: it's filthy!) Thanks for posting. I'll be trying this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! As a mom of two boys - this is truly EXCITING! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great tip!!! I'm going to try that out on my spots.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy cow that is an AWESOME cleaner - seriously! Thanks for sharing with Saturday Spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. “If your rag gets super filthy, get a new one...”— Unless your carpet has some sentimental value or is really expensive, you’re definitely not going to do that. But anyway, you’ve cleaned it real good. Still, just to be safe, you might want to call a professional carpet cleaner. Haha! But the pain that you got from scrubbing definitely paid off!

    Tripp @HeirloomRug-Cleaning-Daytona.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool save! That should settle the incidental stains that may last for more than a while, as a prep for the inevitable full-scale cleaning.

    Dry 1st

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Great comparison. Looks like you put a lot of thought and elbow grease into that. But it looks great. Can this be effective on a large scale? I imagine it's great for small areas or rugs.

    Ansel Marvin | Klean Rite

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...