4.21.2011

Thrifty Thursday #6

Sorry this one is coming so late in the day...I may or may not have spent some time at the pool this morning!  I got two letters from my husband who is away at Basic Training for the Air Force, YAY!

This Thursday I've got something that ANYONE can do, and I mean it.  As long as you can operate a standard electric iron, you can complete this project.  Earlier this week I posted about some curtains I helped a friend make for her living room, well I came home and HAD to make some of my own.
I went to Wal-Mart and found fabric that I loved to pieces for our guest bedroom.  It was just perfect.  I only got half a yard of the fabric because I only wanted to make a valance out of this particular fabric, I have other plans for the curtain panels.

The fabric costs me right about $4.00 and I picked up some Stitch Witchery while at Wal-Mart also, this put my total spending on this project at a whopping $6.00!

I got home and plugged in my iron.  Be sure to set your iron on 'Wool' and turn on the steam.  We quickly found out that without the steam, this just doesn't work!

I laid out the fabric right side down.  Cut a strip of stitch witchery the length of one side of the valance, I started with the bottom.  Fold the fabric on the side you chose back so that you see the pattern, place the stitch witchery between the fold you just created.

Iron over the fold.  Hold the iron on the fold for about 10 seconds, lift up the iron and move it over then repeat.  The directions says no to slide the iron.  I'm not sure what happens when you do slide it but, I wasn't willing to find out what would!

Repeat the same step on three other sides.  Be sure to save the top for last.  Be sure to iron down the corners that overlap.

For the top, you will do the same as you have for the sides except this one will be a little bit larger.  You must allow room for the curtain rod to get through.  Make sure the stitch witchery is at the bottom of the fold, so that you can get the rod completely through the pocket you're creating.


There you have it, a valance in less than 20 minutes!  I am in love love love with Stitch Witchery...be on the lookout for it in my future posts, I am sure it will make an appearance!  Check out how the valance looks on the window

All this for only $6 and 20 minutes, I'd say that's pretty thrifty!

3 comments:

  1. I love this!
    I'm launching my first linky party next tuesday. It's for projects that cost less than $10 and take less than 20-30 minutes. Would you consider linking up with me on my first linky party endeavor? Thanks!
    http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to link up to your party! Count me in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey STeph you did such a great job on this new valance. I love how it's practically no sew, and the cost of it, sure can't be beat.

    I loved it so much I FEATURED you, I hope it puts a smile on your face.

    Come grab a button girl, and display it proudly!

    **Features from week #33 & #34** @ Bella Before and After

    Thanks girl :)

    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...