1.22.2011

american fried

One food I have quite a weakness for is french fries...or America fries since I love America!  I'm not a huge fan of spicy, seasoned, curled, twirled, lopp-de-looped fries...I want nice, plain, salted and fried up taters!
Well, God was SO looking out for me when He gave me my husband.  My sweet hubby LOVES to eat homemade fries and even better he likes making them.  I think, in fact he is quite perfect.
Well, this week Winn Dixie had 5 pound bags of potatoes buy one get one free.  We now have 10 pounds of potatoes in our house...with only two people living here!  Just yesterday Matt (the hubs) decided to use up some of the potatoes and make homemade french American fries for our taste buds enjoyment.
I know there are some of you out there in blog land saying 'DUH, everyone knows how to make fries' but, I also know there are some of you out there who just haven't quite gotten the courage to try to make your own.  So here it is...the day to make some American fries!



You will need:
Potatoes (wash them for sure, peel if you like)
Sharp Knife
Cutting Board
Deep Pan
Vegetable Oil
Salt, pepper, any seasoning you like really
Bowl, lined with paper towel

What to do:
Be sure to wash your potatoes, before and after peeling them.  If you really don't mind the skin, save the time and cut straight to the next step.
Cut your potatoes however you like.  My grandma used to make big, fat steak fries.  Yesterday, we chose to make medium, healthy weight fries.  If you prefer make skinny, restaurant style fries.  We used a sharp knife to cut our potatoes but, if you have a fancy cutter (my mom has a wavy cheese cutter) by all means...break that baby out!
Pour your oil into the pan and place it on the stove.  Turn the stove to medium heat, usually 5ish and let it get hot.


Once your oil is hot dump in the fries for cooking.  You may need to do a few batches depending on how much oil you used and how deep the pan is.
Let the fries cook until you are satisfied.  I love crunchy fries while my older sister loves soft fries.
Transfer the cooked fries from the oil to a bowl lined with paper towels.  The paper towels will soak up the extra oil.
Salt, pepper, season, whatever you like the fries and enjoy!

We cut up extra fries, since we had SO MANY potatoes and put them in the freezer.  Now, we have fries in an instant whenever we like!

If you prefer not to fry your fries then just put them on a baking sheet in the oven on 400 for about 10 to 15 minutes or until they are just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...