3.21.2011

nice (luggage) rack

In this past weeks 'Thrifty Thursday' I showed you my directors chair turned luggage rack.

Today, I am going to show you just how I made this happen.  I must say I am quite pleased with the outcome of my project...and it took less than 45 minutes!

Here's how I did it...




What you need:
Directors chair (picked mine up at a thrift store for less than $10)
Burlap (I got 1/4 yard and had more than enough)
Staple gun
Hot Glue
Small nails
Ribbon (optional)

What to do:
First, I took the directors chair apart.  In flipping my chair over I found that this chair was from Pier One...good quality...score!  I took the handles off and the fabric seat.  I found some two small slats to hold the seat in place...I kept those for later

Next, I made my straps.  I just used ordinary burlap that I purchased from Wal-Mart.  I measured how long the straps would need to be and added two inches (one for each side).  I needed 22", adding two inches, I cut 24" long strips.  I cut the straps 6" wide.  I then folded the straps in kind-of thirds, making them 24" long and about 3" wide.  I wanted to add some stability to the straps without doing too much work...probably not a good thing to admit!  I ironed down the folds.


I then used hot glue to secure the folds of my straps.  I started with the short ends, gluing the 'middle' fold to the bottom then repeating on the opposite side.


Next, I glued the top fold to the middle fold, going straight down the strap.  Don't mind my chipped nails...


I couldn't decide if I wanted  to add ribbon to the straps. I really liked the look of both.  So, I compromised and decided to do one with the ribbon and two without.


To add the ribbon, I simply put a line of hot glue down the middle of the front of the strap (not the side where you can see the folds)


and placed the ribbon on top.


I left a little bit hanging off both ends of the strap, to fold over and secure to the back.


Next, I stapled the straps to the slats, evenly spacing them.


My chair had some notches for the fabric to sit in, so the arms would secure it in, I placed the slat in the little notch and nailed it to the chair.

...and VOILE!  There you have it, your very own luggage rack in less than 45 minutes!



The DIY Show Off

1 comment:

  1. Please correct the grammar and punctuation mistakes in your posts. They detract from the excellent ideas and information in your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...