3.02.2012

Foodie Friday: German Chocolate Cupcakes

It's a Foodie Friday over here and you know what that mean!  A delicious and simple food recipe for all of my friends in blogland.  This week you're in for a real treat...a sweet treat!  I have a SUPER simple German chocolate cupcake recipe for you.

I make the dessert of choice for each of my co-workers on their birthday.  I've made a strawberry Barbie cake, yeast rolls (recipe to come) and this month German chocolate cake.  Though, halfway into make the batter I realized that I do not own any round cake pans...only cupcake pans.  So, cupcakes it is!


Here's how I did it...




What you need:
1 4oz. pkg Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup water
4 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk (or use THIS substitute)

What I did:

Heat Oven to 350

Spray cupcake pans with cooking spray, coat the sides and bottoms to ensure the cake does not stick to the pan

Microwave chocolate and water in a microwavable bowl on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minute.  Stir until chocolate is completely melted

Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff peaks from, set aside


In separate bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt.  Beat butter and sugar in mixer until light and fluffy


Add egg yolks one at a time beating well after each.  Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla.


Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition


Add egg whites, stir in gently until well blended.  Pour into prepared pans

Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Immediately run a small spatula (I used a butter knife) around cakes in pan.


Cook cakes in pans 15 minutes, remove from pans to wire rack.  Cool completely.

Now, what really makes German chocolate cake is the icing.  Check out my homemade version HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...