2.24.2012

February Lumpia Goal: Check!

Yay!  I completed my February goal of making lumpia!  My husband was quite thrilled as well, he has been asking me for the longest time to make 'his favorite food'.  I was incredibly nervous about making Lumpia (a Filipino Spring Roll)...I'm not exactly an 'exotic foods connoisseur'!

However, I followed a super simply recipe and was so shocked at how easy they were to make and how much my husband liked them!  I learned a lot about making any sort of roll...believe it or not I hit a few snags along the way.

Here's how I did it...

What you need:
Lumpia Roll Wrappers (I got Spring Roll Wrappers instead and they just didn't work)
Half Pound Ground Pork (I used beef, the hubby still liked them!)
Green Onions (only the green part)
Green Cabbage (I got the bagged coleslaw mix that had cabbage and carrots in it)
Carrots
Garlic
Soy Sauce
Chopped Onion
Vegetable Oil
Salt and Pepper

What I did:

Brown the meat and set aside


Pour a small amount of vegetable oil in a pan and heat up
Brown the chopped onion in the oil


Add in the browned meat, green onions, cabbage, carrots and garlic (I don't have exact measurements because I kind of eye-balled it) Let cook while stirring occasionally.  Pour in about a tablespoon or two of soy sauce and let cook a short while.


Next, put about two tablespoons of filling onto the wrapper and roll it up, closing the sides to keep the meat inside.


Ok...here came the learning part...the spring roll wrappers don't just bend on their own.  My first roll looked like this


Yeah, I felt like an idiot!  My husband came to my rescue and gave me the idea to wet the wrappers before rolling the filling in them.  Guess what?  It worked!


We had our Lumpia rolled up and ready to fry.  We left them in the fryer for a little bit and here is how they turned out


Yeah...they don't look so great!  My hubby came up with a few ideas as to why they aren't so awesome looking.  1) wrong kind of wraps...I believe this to be the true culprit of ugly Lumpia and 2) dip the rolled lumpia in egg before frying.

However, my hubby still gobbled these puppies down in no time flat.  He said that they tasted great just looked funny!

CHECK OUT THE UPDATE HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...